Samples

Monday, April 22, 2013

Bamboozled!


With all the babysitting duties that I have been doing this year, my creative time seemed to be getting lost in the abyss of diaper changes, formula to be made, bottles to fill, babies to rock and hugs to be handed out.                                                                     Don't get me wrong, there is no way that I would ever change my "grandma" duties as the "three amigos" are the apples of my eye, but being an artist, there is still the need to create and in mid-March, when the skies are grey and the north winds blow so that you feel like the winter is never going to end, one needs something else to do in Chicago besides sit inside and look out at the dreariness that seemingly surrounds you.
Fortunately for me, the local newspaper served up the just right challenge to get this old grandma's creative juices flowing again -  An art contest at a local art gallery!                     
 
6" x 6" canvases would be handed out to the first 80 artists who showed up on a chosen day.  The theme was "Botany Magnified" and the painting, photo, etc. was to be handed in within 6 weeks.  A week later, there would be a formal showing of all 80 canvases and 3 winners would be chosen.  So...I got started...two weeks before it was due...not unusual for me...I love to procrastinate and feel the heat...well, at least that is what I tell myself.
 
I didn't win but I had a lot of fun thinking about it, creating it, and dreaming it up.  A few of my fellow artists whom I truly enjoy and think highly of, praised my piece which meant more to me than a blue ribbon.  I value their critiques more than those of the judges who were interior designers because my artist friends truly know what goes into the creative thought process and the actual execution of any piece of artwork.  My husband, children and grandchildren attended the event as well and it was fun to have them all there with me cheering me on. They made the night even more special.
 
I hope to participate in the contest again next year.  Maybe I'll start working on my canvas as soon as I get it...probably not though...the challenge of time management seems to be the drive in my creative journey.
 
So for today, I will meander down roads untouched with my paintbrushes and my stamps and tomorrow, if need be, I will put the petal to the metal when and if another deadline approaches.
 
Hoping you all find a contest or two to keep you going on your creative journey.
 
Laura Anne and Bella Boo
 




No comments:

Post a Comment