Samples

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Always Carry a Big Stick


My thoughts are exactly like Bella's on this warm sunny spring day - Be prepared and always carry a big stick .

Seems as though people pay more attention to what you are saying if you have a big stick in your hand or in your mouth as in Bella's case.

Life little moments seem harder to find and enjoy when you are talking on your cell phone or texting, the computer screen is flashing at you or your kids are crying for whatever it is kids cry for at any given moment. Add to this a spouse who asks you questions while you are on the phone or counting inventory and wants an answer immediately.

Bella and I slowed down today - we turned off the cell phone, tuned in to the sunny day and took a long walk around the basin by the river. The red winged black birds were singing to us as we strolled along; a frog was croaking solo and the Canadian geese were splashing in the high waters of the slow moving river. It was a wonder cacophony of sounds with a rhythm that soothed our souls.

Bella found her big stick and before long, all the other walkers and dogs stopped to discuss the size of her treasured "log" and the fact that she was determined to carry it the entire 1 1/2 miles around the basin. Bella is like that - once she has made her mind up about something, she sticks to it and finishes the job at hand. I like that about her - except when it is 10 degrees and damp outside and I am in my pajamas waiting for her. It was nice to have people stop and notice how hard she works at being a good puppy.

So in the same vein as Bella, I am spending my day with a stick in my hand. The difference between us is that my stick has a tad bit of lead down the middle and an eraser at the other end. I am determined to finish a certain project that I started not too long ago and hope that it has the results that make a more than a few people in my life smile.

Wishing you a slower paced day and a big stick to ward off the outside noises that make life complicated and someone who notices how important you are in their life.

Bella Boo and Laura Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment